When Strymon decided to develop an effects pedal that delivers the sound and feel of their favorite tape echo machines, they knew they must relentlessly study and faithfully recreate every last nuance. Months were spent in the Strymon sound design labs with an intense focus on capturing the warm, saturated, distinctive qualities of tape echo machines. The result is handcrafted dTape technology. Utilizing a ridiculously powerful SHARC DSP, every drop of processing power is harnessed.
- Handcrafted dTape algorithms deliver meticulously nuanced recreations of tape echo systems
- Three tape machines in one: Fixed (one fixed playback head), Multi (multiple playback heads) and Single (sliding record head)
- Each tape machine has three modes for extremely flexible echo options
- Five tape adjustment and tone shaping knobs: Time, Mix, Tape Age, Repeats, Wow & Flutter
- Five 'hidden' knobs for extensive tone tweaking: Tape Crinkle, Tape Bias, Low End Contour, Spring Reverb, ±3dB Boost/Cut
- Sound on sound mode with instant tape splice and bulk erase – a built-in tape-style looper!
- Press and hold Tap for instant infinite repeats
- Expression pedal input with selectable control over any knob parameter
- Connect an optional footswitch (sold separately) to save a favorite preset
- Analog dry path for a zero latency dry signal that is never converted to digital
- Premium analog front end and output section
- Ultra low noise, high performance 24-bit 96kHz A/D and D/A converters
- Selectable 'trails' mode with high quality, transparent analog buffered bypass
- True bypass via electromechanical relay switching
El Capistan provides three different tape machine types in one, each with three unique modes. With ten parameters to tweak, you get extensive control over tape quality, machine health and tone shaping. Go from the sound of a pristine, studio-quality tape machine to the heavily fluctuating sound of a machine in need of service. Get the full bodied sound of fresh tape all the way to the gnarled qualities of worn out tape. Because it's DSP driven you get a range of tape experiences unattainable with a traditional tape machine, all without the headaches of tape machine maintenance and repair!
Fixed Head tape machine
Time knob varies the tape speed while the playback head is fixed in position.
- A short delay with 1/16th note tap tempo
- B medium delay with dotted 1/8th tap tempo
- C long delay with 1/4 note tap tempo
Multi Head tape machine
2 of 3 playback heads are selected at once. Time knob varies tape speed.
- A Heads 1 & 2 selected.
- B Heads 2 & 3 selected.
- C Heads 1 & 3 selected.
Single Head tape machine
Tape speed is fixed while the Time knob varies the position of a sliding record head.
- A Tape motor at double speed. Higher fidelity with shorter delay times.
- B Tape motor at normal speed. Lower fidelity with longer delay times.
- C Sound on sound mode with instant tape splice, bulk erase and two tape speeds. A tape-style looper!
Sound on sound
Just like favorite moving head tape echo machines, El Capistan gives you a sound on sound mode with some cool new features. When you enter the mode (Single Tape Head, Mode C), the machine is already recording, just like a traditional tape echo machine. Strymon goes several steps further by giving you instant tape splice and bulk erase functions. It's like having a built-in tape-style looper! To set the length of your tape, press Tap once to set your splice 'in' point, then press Tap again to set your splice 'out' point. All of the tone shaping knobs are active and affect your loop as it plays back and re-records. Press Tap a third time to completely erase the tape. You get 20 seconds of tape in slow speed, 10 seconds in fast speed.
|Included From Manufacturer||Power supply|
|Product Unique Features||
|Control Connections||1/4" expression pedal input|
|Effects|| Fixed Head tape machine: one fixed playback head
Multi Head tape machine: multiple playback heads
Single Head tape machine: sliding record head
Sound on sound mode: tape-style looper
|Audio Inputs|| 1/4" mono input
Configurable as TRS stereo input via internal jumper switch
|Audio Outputs||Dual 1/4" stereo output|
|On-board Expression Pedal||No|
|Number of Pedal Switches|| Tap tempo stomp switch
Bypass stomp switch
|Power Adaptor||Included 9VDC center negative power supply|
Strymon Non-Transferrable Limited Warranty
Strymon warranties its products and their varying components to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the following periods of time from the original date of purchase when purchased from an authorized Strymon dealer:
- 2 years – Compadre, Iridium, NightSky, Riverside, Sunset, Volante, Zelzah
- 1 year – BigSky, blueSky, Brigadier, Deco, DIG, El Capistan, Flint, Lex, Mobius, OB.1, Ola, Orbit, TimeLine
- 2 years – AA.1, Magneto, StarLab
- 5 years – Zuma, Zuma R300, Ojai, Ojai R30
- 1 year – Factory power supplies for pedals
- 2 years – Conduit
- 1 year – MiniSwitch, MultiSwitch Plus, original MultiSwitch, MIDI EXP Cables, DC Power Cables, EIAJ-05 Link Cables, 24V Power Adapter for Ojai/Ojai R30, Polarity Reversal Adapters, Voltage Doubler Adapters, Daisy-Chain Power Cables
If the product fails within the warranty period, Strymon will repair or, at its discretion, replace the product at no cost to the original purchaser.
This warranty covers defects in manufacturing discovered while using this product as recommended by Strymon. This warranty does not cover loss or theft, nor does the coverage extend to damage caused by misuse, abuse, unauthorized modification, improper storage, lightning, or natural disasters. Damage caused by any of the above circumstances may result in a non-warranty repair fee.
Products that were purchased from an unauthorized dealer are not covered under warranty. The warranty is non-transferrable and does not cover used or second-hand products.
Limits of liability
In the case of malfunction, the purchaser's sole recourse shall be repair or replacement, as described in the preceding paragraphs. Strymon will not be held liable to any party for damages that result from the failure of this product. Damages excluded include, but are not limited to, the following: lost profits, lost savings, damage to other equipment, and incidental or consequential damages arising from the use, or inability to use this product. In no event will Strymon be liable for more than the amount of the purchase price, not to exceed the current retail price of the product. Strymon disclaims any other warranties, express or implied. By using the product, the user accepts all terms herein.
How to obtain service under this warranty
Contact Strymon through its website for return authorization and information. Proof of original ownership may be required in the form of a purchase receipt.