Nothing reveals the true nature of your guitar and your playing like a world-class tube amp driving a perfectly matched speaker cabinet in a great sounding room. Strymon Iridium is a pedal that truly delivers that sound and feel, with simple controls for effortlessly dialing in the perfect amp tone when going direct. Discover inspiring tube amp responsiveness, unprecedented impulse response speaker cabinet realism and controllable natural sounding room ambience.
- Three amplifier models crafted using Matrix Modeling, capturing the subtleties and unique tonal qualities of each amp: Round Amp based on a Fender Deluxe Reverb, Chime Amp based on the Brilliant channel of a Vox AC30 and Punch Amp based on a Marshall Plexi
- Nine impulse response speaker cabinets, 24-bit / 96kHz 500ms stereo (three per amp type), pre-loaded with a curated set of IRs: Deluxe Reverb 1×12" by OwnHammer, Blues Junior 1×12" by CabIR, Vibrolux 2×10" by CabIR, AC30 2×12" AlNiCo by OwnHammer, 1×12" AlNiCo by Celestion, Mesa 4×12" by Valhallir, GNR 4×12" by OwnHammer, 2×12" Vintage 30 by Celestion and Marshall 8×12" AlNiCo by CabIR
- Load your own impulse responses over USB using Strymon Impulse Manager software
- Hybrid IR/algorithmic room control with selectable small, medium, and large rooms
- Simple, responsive amp-style controls for Drive, Level, Bass, Middle and Treble
- Premium stereo high impedance discrete JFET analog front end with up to 22dB of pure analog gain
- Works with instrument and line level input sources
- Discrete transistor headphone amplifier
- Expression pedal input provides seamless morphing between knob positions (Expression mode) or smooth pre/post volume control with logarithmic taper (Volume mode)
- Compatible with Strymon MultiSwitch Plus (sold separately) for remote selection of up to 4 presets
- Full featured MIDI control accessible via EXP jack for remote parameter control and access to 300 preset locations (requires Strymon MIDI EXP cable or MIDI to TRS interface, both sold separately)
- Ultra low noise, high performance 24-bit 96kHz A/D and D/A converters
- Transparent analog buffered bypass
Go direct with gorgeous tone
Iridium gives you three iconic amplifiers with a total of nine impulse response speaker cabinets that complement the tonality of the amp. Skip the hassle of lugging around or miking amps: place Iridium on your pedalboard and send gorgeous stereo amplifier tones, stunningly realistic cabs and lush room ambience direct to a recording interface or PA system. With Iridium it's a snap to dial in a direct tone that will truly inspire and sound great whether you're monitoring through in-ears, floor wedges, reference monitors or studio headphones.
Three iconic amplifiers
Strymon's Matrix Modeling process captures all the subtleties and unique tonal qualities of each amplifier. They took three iconic tube amps with distinct characters and mathematically modeled every aspect of their circuitry with absolute precision to deliver the response, feel and inspiring experience of playing through the original amps at their best. Taking the process a step further, Strymon hot-rodded each amp to provide an extended range of tonal options beyond what was available from the original designs.
- Round Amp based on a Fender Deluxe Reverb – Strymon chose the Deluxe's Normal channel for its round tone that plays well with pedals. With the midrange at noon, you get the original fixed-resistor value and standard tonal characteristics of the Deluxe. Turn down the midrange for a more scooped sound or turn it up for tweed-era tones.
- Chome Amp based on the Brilliant channel of a Vox AC30TB – For this amp, the Middle knob acts a tone cut knob, providing high-end roll-off just before the power tubes per the original AC30 design. Toward the top end of the Drive knob's range of travel Strymon added a frequency-shaped front end boost to tighten the low end while driving the amp further into saturation.
- Punch Amp based on a Marshall Plexi – With higher gain than the other two amps and a powerful midrange response, this amp also sfeatures a buttery smooth overdrive. At higher Drive settings it will deliver all the high gain distortion and growl this amp is known for – and then some. The m model has some additional gain on tap, giving you access to custom hot-rodded Plexi high gain tones.
Nine stereo IR cabinets
Iridium's speaker cabinets offer a level of realism and responsiveness unprecedented in outboard effects. Iridium delivers full stereo 24-bit 96kHz resolution for the entire 500 milliseconds of its speaker cabinet impulse responses. Until now, IRs of this resolution have only been available for use within studio recording software. Iridium's breakthrough technology means you can use the very best impulse responses available, bringing maximum realism to your pedalboard.
Adjustable room ambience
Iridium's hybrid room reverb combines a 256 millisecond stereo impulse response with Strymon's reverb tank algorithm for extended decay. This combination places your amp and cab in a natural sounding room (small, medium or large), creating a space for your amp to open up and breathe.
Amp science: what is Matrix Modeling?
From the unique composition of each tone stack, to component values, bias levels, corner frequencies, and tube stage gain – all of these factors affect the way a note or chord reacts and evolves over time, and all have been mathematically modeled with the highest fidelity. Strymon included multi-stage power sag so that the sag response and time constant for each stage of the amplifier is modeled separately, adding further harmonic complexity and realistic feel. They also modeled the compression, limited cone movement and speaker distortion that can happen at high signal levels. They carefully set the range and taper for each knob to make it easy to dial in a variety of great tones with intuitive, predictable amp-like responsiveness.
Tone stacks that hit all the sweet spots
Aggressively boost the treble and Iridium beautifully reveals all the subtle nuances of even the softest finger-style playing. Crank the bass and enjoy resonant low end that will make you swear there's an amp in the room even when monitoring through headphones. True to the tone stacks of the classic amps Strymon modeled, Iridium's tone controls have the same interdependence as found in the original circuit designs. Iridium gives you amp EQ that's a joy to use, yielding a wide variety of great tones in any direction you go.
Nine stunningly realistic cabs
Iridium comes pre-loaded with a carefully curated collection of premium cabinet IRs from OwnHammer, Celestion, cabIR and Valhallir. You can also load your own IRs using Strymon Impulse Manager software.
- Deluxe Reverb 1×12" by OwnHammer – Impulse of a vintage Fender Deluxe Reverb 1×12" open back combo with a 1978 Fender CTS ceramic 12" speaker.
- Blues Junior 1×12" by cabIR – Impulse of a 1×12" Blues Junior cabinet with a Jensen C12N speaker.
- Vibrolux 2×10" by cabIR – Impulse of a 1965 Fender Vibrolux 2×10" with Jensen C10NS speakers.
- AC30 2×12" AlNiCo by OwnHammer – Impulse of a Vox AC30/6 open back 2×12" combo with 2001 Celestion T0530 Blue AlNiCo speakers.
- 1×12" AlNiCo by Celestion – Impulse of a Celestion Blue AlNiCo speaker in a closed back 1×12" cab.
- Mesa 4×12" by Valhallir – Impulse of a 4×12" Mesa Boogie halfback with two Celestion Black Shadow MC-90 and two ElectroVoice Black Shadow EVM12-L speakers.
- GNR 4×12″ by OwnHammer – Impulse of a 1971 Marshall 1960B 'basketweave' 4×12" cabinet with 1971 Celestion T1221 G12M-25 speakers.
- 2×12" Vintage 30 by Celestion – Impulse of a Celestion Vintage 30 in an open back 2×12" cab.
- Marshall 8×12" AlNiCo by cabIR – Impulse of a 1965 Marshall 8×12" reissue full stack cabinet with Celestion T652 AlNiCo speakers.
Unprecedented IR technology
Impulse responses allow the sound and character of a mic'd speaker cabinet to be captured so that any audio signal can be processed by the resulting impulse response and sound as if it's being played through that exact speaker cabinet. Iridium is able to deliver impulse response resolution far greater than any other piece of outboard gear. With full 24-bit 96kHz resolution for the entire 500 milliseconds of its speaker cabinet impulse responses, Iridium is able to use the absolute highest quality IRs available. Every cabinet resonance, speaker vibration, as well as reflections between the cabinet, the mic, the floor and the ceiling – all the minuscule cues that tell our brain we are listening to our favorite cabinet are preserved, providing completely lifelike realism.
Load your own impulses
It's easy to replace the pre-installed IRs with custom IRs from your own collection by using Strymon Impulse Manager software.
Want to play live with the exact same tones that you use at home or in the studio? Or have access to multiple amp and cab setups without having to lug them on stage? Leave your amps at home and connect Iridium directly to the house PA system. Going direct eliminates the need to mic an amp, giving sound engineers the option to send your amp and cab tone directly to a wedge or in-ear monitors.Instant adjustments to your tone are right there on your pedalboard, only a footswitch away. With Iridium there are no menus to wade through, just familiar, responsive amp-style controls for instant, easy adjustment.
In the studio
Iridium provides gorgeous, iconic amp tones, stunningly realistic stereo cabinet impulse responses and natural room ambience – essential elements for recording guitar in the studio. Place Iridium at the end of your effects chain and capture stereo amp and cab tones direct into your recording interface. Or place Iridium before your delays and reverbs to allow those time-based effects to occur post amp and cab. Skip the hassle of miking up your amps or having to crank them up to get the tone you desire. Instantly audition amps and cabs with the flick of a switch.
You can't always crank up an amplifier when you want to play in your living room or rehearse at home. Plug your favorite set of headphones into Iridium's headphone jack and get immersed in the sounds of iconic amps and cabs in a natural sounding room. Integrate Iridium into your pedalboard by placing it at the end of your chain and experience your entire pedalboard's tones directly in your headphones.
More use cases
Iridium also allows for less common use cases. Want to use Iridium's amplifiers but not the IR cabinets? Select Iridium's Cab Bypass mode and connect the output(s) to the effects return or power amp input on a guitar amplifier. Want to use Iridium's IR cabinets but not the amps? Engage Iridium's Amp Bypass mode and connect a preamp or preamp pedal to Iridium's input. Because the purpose of Iridium is to generate amp and cabinet tones, the primary use case is for direct situations. It's not recommended to connect Iridium to a guitar amplifier.
Room ambience: an amp through a cab in a room
Iridium features a hybrid room ambience design that combines 256ms impulse response captures of real rooms for realistic early reflections with an algorithm for extended decay and modulation. This combination places your amp and cab in a natural sounding room, creating a real space for your amp to open up and breathe. In addition to controlling the amount of room ambience, you can also choose a small, medium or large room.
Analog JFET front end: super quiet, amazingly responsive
Iridium's input features an ultra low noise, discrete, class-A JFET preamp circuit providing up to 20dB of pure analog gain. This variable gain JFET circuit is used in concert with DSP to create the tube driven input stage of each of Iridium's amps. With Strymon's hybrid approach you get the best of both analog and digital worlds: the JFET stage acts as an analog front end conditioner, providing exceptional touch sensitivity and dynamic interaction with your guitar while improving noise performance, and the incredibly powerful SHARC DSP facilitates the great level of detailed complexity and responsiveness of each tube amp's circuitry. This combination of variable gain JFET and DSP is also how Iridium is able to deliver that hot-rodded extra gain at the top end of the Drive knob for the Chime and Punch amps.
Stereo through and through
Iridium is perfect for use with stereo effects in stereo rigs. Iridium's TS-mono/TRS-stereo input features stereo class-A JFET preamps feeding into a stereo amp driving a stereo speaker cabinet in a stereo-captured room feeding stereo outputs.
Headphone output: get immersed
You can't always crank up an amplifier when you want to play in your living room or rehearse at home. Plug your favorite set of headphones into Iridium's headphone jack and get immersed in the sounds of iconic amps and cabs in a natural sounding room.
Presets: everyone has a favorite
Iridium allows you to save and recall your favorite settings: simply dial up your favorite sound, then press and hold the Favorite switch to save these settings. Instantly recall these settings with the press of the Favorite switch or press again to return back to the current knob and switch settings. You can also connect a MIDI device to access up to 300 presets.
Hidden superpower: MIDI control
Lurking inside your Iridium pedal is a hidden superpower: MIDI control. Save and load presets with up to 300 preset locations. Control all knobs and switches via MIDI. Integrate Iridium into an elaborate MIDI pedalboard or use in an ultra-compact setup for easy travel. Connect a Strymon MIDI EXP Cable (sold separately) to the EXP/MIDI pedal jack to access these features.
Powerful expression control
With Volume mode, you can connect an expression pedal (sold separately) and use it as a volume pedal with a logarithmic taper for smooth volume control, providing an excellent alternative to a standalone volume pedal. Volume can be set for pre or post amp, cab and room settings. Or Expression mode to enjoy a whole new level of instantaneous, continuous control: set as many knobs as you like for the heel position and toe position of your expression pedal, and all settings will simultaneously morph throughout the full range of the expression pedal.
|Included From Manufacturer||Power supply|
|Product Unique Features||
|Control Connections||1/4" EXP/MIDI input for expression pedal, footswitch or MIDI control via Strymon MIDI EXP cable (sold separately)|
|Effects|| Round Amp based on Fender Deluxe Reverb
Chime Amp based on Brilliant channel of Vox AC30
Punch Amp based on Marshall Plexi
9 × impulse response speaker cabinets
|Audio Inputs||1/4" input configurable as mono, stereo or stereo summed via dedicated rear panel switch|
|Audio Outputs|| Dual 1/4" stereo output
1/8" stereo headphone output
|On-board Expression Pedal||No|
|Number of Pedal Switches|| Favorite stomp switch
On stomp switch engages amp, cab and room processing
|Power Adaptor||Included 9VDC center negative power supply|
Strymon Non-Transferrable Limited Warranty
Strymon warranties its products and their varying components to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the following periods of time from the original date of purchase when purchased from an authorized Strymon dealer:
- 2 years – Compadre, Iridium, NightSky, Riverside, Sunset, Volante, Zelzah
- 1 year – BigSky, blueSky, Brigadier, Deco, DIG, El Capistan, Flint, Lex, Mobius, OB.1, Ola, Orbit, TimeLine
- 2 years – AA.1, Magneto, StarLab
- 5 years – Zuma, Zuma R300, Ojai, Ojai R30
- 1 year – Factory power supplies for pedals
- 2 years – Conduit
- 1 year – MiniSwitch, MultiSwitch Plus, original MultiSwitch, MIDI EXP Cables, DC Power Cables, EIAJ-05 Link Cables, 24V Power Adapter for Ojai/Ojai R30, Polarity Reversal Adapters, Voltage Doubler Adapters, Daisy-Chain Power Cables
If the product fails within the warranty period, Strymon will repair or, at its discretion, replace the product at no cost to the original purchaser.
This warranty covers defects in manufacturing discovered while using this product as recommended by Strymon. This warranty does not cover loss or theft, nor does the coverage extend to damage caused by misuse, abuse, unauthorized modification, improper storage, lightning, or natural disasters. Damage caused by any of the above circumstances may result in a non-warranty repair fee.
Products that were purchased from an unauthorized dealer are not covered under warranty. The warranty is non-transferrable and does not cover used or second-hand products.
Limits of liability
In the case of malfunction, the purchaser's sole recourse shall be repair or replacement, as described in the preceding paragraphs. Strymon will not be held liable to any party for damages that result from the failure of this product. Damages excluded include, but are not limited to, the following: lost profits, lost savings, damage to other equipment, and incidental or consequential damages arising from the use, or inability to use this product. In no event will Strymon be liable for more than the amount of the purchase price, not to exceed the current retail price of the product. Strymon disclaims any other warranties, express or implied. By using the product, the user accepts all terms herein.
How to obtain service under this warranty
Contact Strymon through its website for return authorization and information. Proof of original ownership may be required in the form of a purchase receipt.