Strymon Riverside is the culmination of a thorough analysis of numerous analog and vacuum tube circuits. The goal? To deliver a new world of harmonically rich, incredibly versatile, tube-inspired drive sounds. Strymon didn't want to build just another distortion or overdrive, but to examine what has been done and bring a new approach to the world of drive sounds.
- Custom cascading multistage distortion topology provides a wide range of tube-inspired drive tones
- Digitally controlled analog class A JFET input gain stage maximizes headroom while adding up to 20dB of pure analog gain
- Precision crafted DSP gain stages provide detailed complexity and responsiveness
- Low gain channel for smooth classic overdrive
- High gain channel for modern saturated distortion
- 3-band EQ with independent Bass, Middle and Treble controls
- Selectable post-analog gain mid-band EQ push
- Presence switch to tailor the sound for use with all amplifiers from dark to bright
- Optional variable-threshold noise reduction helps tame noisy guitar pickups
- Favorite footswitch to save a favorite setting
- Expression pedal input allows the connection an optional expression pedal for simultaneous morphing control over multiple parameters (Expression mode) or logarithmic taper for smooth volume control (Volume mode)
- MIDI accessible via Expression jack for remote parameter control and access to 300 preset locations
- Favorite input to connect an optional footswitch to recall a Favorite preset
- Boost pedal input allows connection of an optional footswitch for up to +6dB of analog boost or to toggle the Favorite preset on other Strymon pedals (Favorite Out mode)
- Premium analog front end and output section
- Ultra low noise, high performance 24-bit 96kHz A/D and D/A converters
- True Bypass (electromechanical relay switching) or selectable transparent analog buffered bypass
Discover your amp's potential
Riverside's cascading gain stages create harmonically rich tones that are immensely musical and natural, from silky clean overdrive to colossal distortion and all points between. Strymon's analog JFET front end ensures that Riverside responds to your guitar with uncompromised dynamics and feel. The precision crafted DSP generates dynamic complexity and pleasing harmonics at every stage, letting your amp shine at any gain level. Riverside takes your amp to places you never knew it could go.
Infinite sweet spot
Riverside's continuously variable circuit tuning dynamically tweaks multiple parameters under the hood so that the sweet spot follows you at any gain setting. As you turn the Drive knob, Riverside makes continuous adjustments, tuning the circuit for optimum tone. This results in an incredibly versatile drive pedal that is equally capable of providing sparking cleans, mild overdrives, high-gain leads and heavy saturated distortions.
Flexibility to adapt to any amp
Your amp choice has a large influence on the sound of any drive pedal connected to it. Riverside's musical 3-band EQ with independent Bass, Middle and Treble knobs is designed to complement your amp's tone with the flexibility needed to dial in your sound effectively and efficiently. The three-position Presence switch tailors the highest frequencies, allowing Riverside to integrate perfectly with any amp or setup, no matter how dark or bright.
Digital or analog? Strymon chose both!
The first stage of Riverside's custom multistage drive topology is an all-analog, ultra low noise, discrete, class-A JFET circuit. This gain stage is digitally controlled to maximize headroom while adding as much as 20dB of pure analog gain with tight integration to the subsequent DSP gain stages. With Strymon's hybrid approach you get the best of both analog and digital worlds: the JFET stage provides exceptional touch sensitivity and dynamic interaction with your guitar, while the incredibly powerful SHARC DSP facilitates the great level of detailed complexity and responsiveness you'll want to hear.
Everyone has a favorite
Riverside allows you to save and recall your favorite settings. Simply dial up your favorite sound and press and hold the Favorite switch to save these settings. Instantly recall these settings with the press of the Favorite switch, or press again to return back to the current knob settings. It's like having two drive pedals in one.
Presence of mind
Riverside gives you a three-position presence switch to tailor the highest frequencies of your output signal. Minus (-) provides clarity with a controlled top end that works well with brighter amps. Enhanced (center) extends the top end to allow for more sizzle on high gain tones. Plus (+) delivers extended high end detail to the darkest amps, and is also useful when plugging directly into a power amp.
Tame the noise
Riverside has an optional variable-threshold noise reduction feature to tame hum, buzz and system noise when you're not playing. A downward expander with advanced signal detection techniques creates a seamless transition to noise reduced silence with all types of input signal dynamics, including staccato bursts and slowly decaying sustained notes.
Get a boost
Chances are you won't want to wait for your solo to turn on Riverside. The boost pedal input allows you to leave Riverside on all the time with just the amount of dirt, distortion and drive you desire, and then boost your overall output signal by up to +6dB when you need to jump up in the mix. Connect an external switch (sold separately) to engage and disengage Riverside's Boost.
Morphing expression control
Connect an expression pedal and enjoy a whole new level of instantaneous, continuous control. Set as many knobs as you like for the heel position and toe position of your expression pedal, and all settings will simultaneously morph throughout the full range of the expression pedal. Riverside becomes part of your musical instrument, an extension of your musical voice, an active part of your performance.
Turn up the volume
The Expression pedal jack can be set to Volume mode, which provides a logarithmic taper for smooth volume control. If you have an expression pedal, this provides an excellent alternative to a standalone volume pedal.
Your favorite just got more powerful
Want to control the Favorite preset settings on multiple Strymon pedals with just one switch Connect a TRS cable (sold separately) from Riverside's BOOST jack to the EXP input of another Strymon pedal and simultaneously engage the Favorite settings on both pedals.
Lurking inside your Riverside pedal is a hidden superpower: MIDI control. Save and load drive presets. Control all knobs and switches via MIDI. Integrate Riverside into an elaborate MIDI pedalboard or use in an ultra-compact setup for easy travel. Connect Strymon's MIDI EXP Cable (sold separately) to the Expression pedal jack to access these features.
|Included From Manufacturer||Power supply|
|Product Unique Features||
|Control Connections|| Configurable 1/4" Boost input: Boost Switch mode, Favorite Output mode, Expression Pedal mode, Volume mode
1/4" configurable EXP input: Expression Pedal mode, Volume mode, MIDI mode, Favorite Input mode
|Audio Inputs||1/4" mono input|
|Audio Outputs||1/4" mono output|
|On-board Expression Pedal||No|
|Number of Pedal Switches|| Favorite stomp switch
On/bypass stomp switch
|Power Adaptor||Included 9VDC center negative power supply|
Strymon Non-Transferrable Limited Warranty
Strymon warranties its products and their varying components to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the following periods of time from the original date of purchase when purchased from an authorized Strymon dealer:
- 2 years – Compadre, Iridium, NightSky, Riverside, Sunset, Volante, Zelzah
- 1 year – BigSky, blueSky, Brigadier, Deco, DIG, El Capistan, Flint, Lex, Mobius, OB.1, Ola, Orbit, TimeLine
- 2 years – AA.1, Magneto, StarLab
- 5 years – Zuma, Zuma R300, Ojai, Ojai R30
- 1 year – Factory power supplies for pedals
- 2 years – Conduit
- 1 year – MiniSwitch, MultiSwitch Plus, original MultiSwitch, MIDI EXP Cables, DC Power Cables, EIAJ-05 Link Cables, 24V Power Adapter for Ojai/Ojai R30, Polarity Reversal Adapters, Voltage Doubler Adapters, Daisy-Chain Power Cables
If the product fails within the warranty period, Strymon will repair or, at its discretion, replace the product at no cost to the original purchaser.
This warranty covers defects in manufacturing discovered while using this product as recommended by Strymon. This warranty does not cover loss or theft, nor does the coverage extend to damage caused by misuse, abuse, unauthorized modification, improper storage, lightning, or natural disasters. Damage caused by any of the above circumstances may result in a non-warranty repair fee.
Products that were purchased from an unauthorized dealer are not covered under warranty. The warranty is non-transferrable and does not cover used or second-hand products.
Limits of liability
In the case of malfunction, the purchaser's sole recourse shall be repair or replacement, as described in the preceding paragraphs. Strymon will not be held liable to any party for damages that result from the failure of this product. Damages excluded include, but are not limited to, the following: lost profits, lost savings, damage to other equipment, and incidental or consequential damages arising from the use, or inability to use this product. In no event will Strymon be liable for more than the amount of the purchase price, not to exceed the current retail price of the product. Strymon disclaims any other warranties, express or implied. By using the product, the user accepts all terms herein.
How to obtain service under this warranty
Contact Strymon through its website for return authorization and information. Proof of original ownership may be required in the form of a purchase receipt.