Founded on Modal Electronics' next-generation Cobalt synth architecture and housed in an ultra-portable go-anywhere footprint, the USB-powered Cobalt5S is made to move and ready to spark your creativity wherever and whenever inspiration strikes. Whether it's a singularly authentic replication of classic analog sounds or the most contemporary leading-edge texture, the Cobalt5S extended virtual analog sound engine delivers on all counts.
Cobalt5S takes inspiration from the iconic sound of its analog forebears, transcending any and all limitations to take a leading-edge synth architecture truly mobile. From sultry basslines to expansive, mutating pads and everywhere in between, Cobalt5S is not just modeling run-of-the-mill analog sounds – this is beyond analog, anywhere.
- True 5-voice polyphonic
- Supports MPE-compatible MIDI controllers, allowing you to apply polyphonic control and expression to individual notes
- 40 high-resolution virtual analog oscillators, up to 8 per voice, with optional extended oscillator drift
- 2 independent and self-contained oscillator groups
- Sine, pulse, triangle, sawtooth waveforms plus 40 different algorithms including cross-modulation, PWM, smooth morphing between VA waves, bit crushing, filtered noise and more
- 4-pole morphable ladder filter with resonance and four switchable configurations
- 3 dedicated envelope generators for amp, mod and filter that can be accessed independently or simultaneously including negative/reverse versions for mod and filter
- 2 audio-rate LFOs – one poly, one global – with tempo sync and seven different shapes
- 8 assignable modulation slots and 4 additional fixed modulation routings for common assignments with 11 modulation sources and 41 modulation destinations
- Polyphonic realtime sequencer with 512 notes and four recordable/editable parameter animations
- Delay effects, LFOs, sequencer and arpeggiator can be clocked either internally or externally
- Polyphonic step sequencer with 64 steps, 5 notes per step, 4 lanes of parameter lock-style animation, step input mode, multiple playback modes including gate modes and rest function
- Sophisticated programmable arpeggiator with 32 steps, rest capability and up to 2,048 steps before repeating
- Two incredibly powerful independent and user-configurable stereo effecgts engines for chorus and stereo delay
- 300 patch memories, all fully editable; ships with 200 factory programs
- 100 sequencer presets that can be linked to any patch for quickly loading arrangements
- 4 quick recall slots accessible from the panel for quickly loading your favorite patches
- Premium 37-note compact-key keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch
- 16 switched encoders support realtime CC message transmissions to other MIDI devices or DAWs
- 5-axis X/Y/Z pressure-sensitive keypad for pitch bend, mod wheel and/or modulation assignments
- Multiple keyboard modes: Mono, Poly, Stack 2, Unison 2, Unison 4
- Glide/portamento with both legato and staccato modes
- Large OLED display for instant visual feedback at all times
- Free MODALapp software editor available for macOS, Windows, iOS and Android
- MODALapp can also be run within your digital audio workstation with VST3 and AU plug-in versions available
Create without limitation
Featuring five true polyphonic voices, two independent algorithm groups and up to eight oscillators per voice, musicians, sound designers and producers are armed with an expansive palette of sound primed for any application imaginable. With 40 complex algorithms including sync, ring modulation, waveform morphing and many more, it's easy to see how Cobalt5S empowers creators with liberated sound-sculpting capability without limitation.
Featuring the same self-oscillating 4-pole morphable ladder filter from Cobalt8, Cobalt5S guarantees to texture your sound with all the bite and warmth your performance demands. Four separate filter modes fuse with mainstay controls for cutoff and resonance alongside a morph parameter to musically manipulate the frequency response of the filter for a truly immersive experience. From the sublime to the experimental and everywhere in between, crafting the perfect timbre is limited only by your imagination.
Sound shaping, simplified
Everything you need to craft the perfect sound in meticulous detail is right at your fingertips with Cobalt5S. Three envelopes with selectable types take command of filter, amp or modulation destinations, empowering you with unrestricted options when it comes to fine-tuning your sound. One polyphonic LFO and one global LFO provide extended power to control a plethora of modulation sources selected via a sophisticated 8-slot modulation matrix. Whether it's an otherworldly evolving soundscape, rhythmic pads or a searing lead, realizing your creative vision has never been this easy!
Your performance, supercharged
Get wild with the integrated 512-note realtime/step sequencer, complete with 4 animation lanes. Fuse this with a built-in programmable 32-step advanced arpeggiator and you start to scratch the surface of the performance capability Cobalt5S heralds for the modern creator. Top this off with MPE support for next-generation creative expression via a compatible MPE controller, and Cobalt5S is primed for any performance, production or sound design scenario imaginable.
Made to move
Bringing the legendary build quality synonymous with Modal Electronics' synthesizer roster to a 37-note compact keybed with aftertouch, Cobalt5S is primed for your creative exploits wherever and wherever creativity strikes. Plus, with a USB-powered design, powering Cobalt5S from your Mac, PC or portable power brick couldn't be simpler.
Take complete command and craft your signature sound with ease courtesy of 16 switched encoders. For complete expressive capability, a X/Y/Z touchpad provides ultimate 5-axis control over pitch bend, mod wheel and/or any user-selected modulation assignment. Two independent stereo effect engines for chorus and stereo delay inject depth and character into your patches, allowing you to create polished synth textures. Rounding out this tactile, performance-centric control assortment is a radiant monochrome OLED display that relays all key information in razor-sharp resolution.
Integrating Cobalt5S into your existing setup couldn't be simpler. Connect to PA systems, stage boxes, mixing desks and more with dual 1/4" line out jacks. Practice in private thanks to a 1/4" stereo headphone output. Add some genuine piano-style sustain to your performance with a 1/4" sustain pedal input. Connect to all your MIDI peripherals thanks to full-size 5-pin MIDI ins and outs, as well as MIDI over USB capability. Finally, keep everything on point with Cobalt5S' clock sync input and output. Whatever your next performance demands, Cobalt5S guarantees to assimilate with ease.
Free MODALapp for immersive sound programming sessions
The free MODALapp companion software brings the comfort of screen-based editing on your computer or mobile device. Available as a standalone app for macOS, Windows, iOS, iPadOS or Android systems and in VST3 and AU plug-in formats, it is the perfect companion for synth enthusiasts looking to dive deep into all sound editing and performance parameters. Creating your own signature sound, backing up your library and managing your patches and sequences couldn't be simpler.
|Built In Speakers
|Included From Manufacturer
|USB-A to USB-B cable
|Number of Keys
|In, Out, and USB
|Product Unique Features
|MODALapp editor and patch librarian available as standalone app, Audio Unit or VST plug-in
| 1/4" sustain footswitch input
1/8" sync input
1/8" sync output
|5-axis X/Y/Z pressure-sensitive expression pad for pitch bend, mod wheel and/or modulation assignments
|2 × independent stereo effects engines for chorus and stereo delay
| Dual 1/4" stereo output
1/4" stereo headphone output
|Compact keys with velocity and channel aftertouch
|Oscillators per Voice
|Varies by Sound Engine
| 300 patch storage locations, all fully editable
Ships with 200 factory programs
| Realtime 512-step sequencer with quantize
4 × recordable/editable parameter automation lanes
|USB Port (to Host)
|MIDI;System Updates;Editor/Librarian/Patch Manager
|Voices of Polyphony
Modal Electronics Ltd. Limited Warranty
One year Parts and Labor on all Modal Electronics Ltd. products. Warranty covers all defects in material and workmanship.
The following are not covered: damage caused by accident, misuse, abuse, product modification or neglect; damage occurring during shipment; damage from failure to follow instructions contained in the instruction manual; damage resulting from unauthorized repairs; or damage caused by improper installation; or damage caused by AC power overvoltage conditions.
Modal Electronics Ltd.'s liability is limited to the repair or replacement, at its option, of any defective product and shall not include incidental or consequential damages. Modal Electronics Ltd. reserves the right to replace a discontinued model with a comparable model. Any replacement units or parts may be new or rebuilt.